Monday, April 7, 2008

Craziness Approaching, Keep Right

So in eleven days we open our musical, and there's still much to do. There's a band concert tomorrow at 7 PM in the auditorium, so on Wednesday we have to put up the set before we can rehearse. Most of the set is movable, so that won't be too difficult. But we still have a golf cart to transform into a car, jukebox arches to finish cutting out and painting to mount onto two doorways, and a whole lotta rope light to hang. Let's just say that this Saturday from 9-5 will be one heck of a crunch time!

Sarah thinks I'm a workaholic. Maybe I'm close, but I don't know that I fit the exact description. I do work a lot with the theater program, but it's work that I enjoy. And yes, from time to time I do spend all day at school and then come home to do some more work. But I do enjoy it.

However, I know I won't be able to do this forever. This year I have felt the strain of such a constant life at school in addition to the work with the writing project, and then working through grad school on top of that. I want to be able to enjoy the wedding planning and be able to enjoy the first year or so of marriage before we have kids too. So there will be some changes in what I commit to in the next few years. Grad school will be over around 2010, and that will be one stress (and expense!) out of my life. And after next year I have already decided that I will be reducing my work in the theater program a little. Piece by piece, I'm sure I'll figure out what I should be doing and then do it.

Plus, and some of you probably know this, I miss my family. I wish I could spend more time with my cousins in Naperville or just hang around on Saturdays instead of running to Menards at 8 AM to make it to school by 9 AM for an 8-hour day. And with summer coming, I want my down time more and more! So there's more impetus to make it happen.

Until then, I'll have to make sure I gaff tape my head on. At least until opening night!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Good luck on opening night Ray!

Carrie said...

How is Grease going??