Saturday, November 22, 2008

An Exhausting Day

So today was full of workshops. It all started at 8 AM with a workshop on how California has worked to better prepare high school students for college writing. Their methodology and research was strong, but I left when it began to get to be more about the programming that they do and the professional development they employ to prepare teachers for all of it.

The next workshop was on visual learning. I must have misread the description because it ended up being about using pictures to help students learn. I left early, and since there was no other workshop that session that I wanted to attend (a rarity at this convention...each session features some 40-50 workshops, and none are repeated!), I had a little break to take some pictures.

The highlight though, was this afternoon when I went to see my good friends Carla Beard and Nancy Patterson, colleagues through the listserv, presented on using blogs and wikis in the classroom. I had experimented with wikis during the summer, and of course I blog, but I came away really wanting to have students use these tools of technology to collaborate and share their ideas!

During my downtime, as I said, I took a few pictures, but mostly just browsed around the area some more. I discovered a church that is literally trapped on three sides by the shopping mall that is next to my hotel. It's called St. Joseph's Downtown Church, and it is a Catholic Church established in 1868. I visited inside and it was an awe-inspiring 15 minutes of wandering around, admiring the architecture and decoration. If you didn't know it, you wouldn't think that there was a shopping mall 15 feet on the other side of the wall. I'm thinking of attending Mass there tomorrow morning to see what it is like.

For my last night in San Antonio, I think I'm going to stay in. My feet are extremely sore, and I'm very tired after all the walking around. I am looking forward to returning home and to school to try out some of the ideas I have, and to share the wealth of knowledge I have gleaned!

See you all soon!

No comments: