Thursday, November 20, 2008

Hey, Shift Happens

That's the theme for this year's National Council of Teachers of English Conference. Pretty funny, huh? So the kids aren't the only ones getting away with nearly cursing! Actually the theme is based on the fact that the role of education has shifted so much in the past century, and we are exploring the ways that we as educators can adapt. I'm hoping to sit and blog at least once a day about what's going on here.

So let me tell you about my hotel. So I tried to find the least expensive conference hotel, and I reserved a room there. It's called the Menger Hotel. On Sunday, when I went to look at the amenities (I never even thought about that when I placed the reservation!), their website said that the hotel was built in 1959, and it is right next to the Alamo! I was thrilled to be so close to a piece of American history.

After I checked in (and called tech support to help me get connected to the Internet), I looked out my window, and what do you think I saw?
THE ALAMO!

I've already gone over to register at the convention, so now I'll have to spend some time planning what workshops to attend. The great thing about this conference is that there are soooo many great workshops. The worst thing is that there are soooo many great workshops!

I'm off to plan (and enjoy the 70 degree weather!)


No comments: