Saturday, November 28, 2009

Getting My "Phil" of Philly

Ok, so that was a rather cheesy title, but all of you who know me, know that's my personality! Last weekend I promised that I would upload some pictures of my sightseeing at the NCTE/NWP conference in Philadelphia, so here we go!


The Philadelphia Mint, where they print money. So tempting, but I resisted!












This is Christ Church, one of the oldest in the country, and where Congress used to meed before conducting the business of the Country. Many famous early Americans were also regular parishoners. This is a night view; I toured it during the day though.














Christ Church during the day.


















A view of the pulpit of Christ Church. There are two plaques that hang on either side of the pulpit: one is inscribed with the Ten Commandments, the other has the Lord's Prayer.
















Looking up at the choir loft from the pulpit. Though I love the architecture and ornateness of the Byzantine Rite, the simplicity of the Early American Christians is equally amazing.










This is the first bank of the United States. It was actually run by the government, which made me think about current circumstances. The plaque on the building says that a national bank was controversial, and after its original charter expired it was never renewed. Now the building is used for the parks department and isn't open to the public.






Here is Besty Ross's house. I did tour it, but no pictures were allowed. All I have to say is that place was TINY, and a couple of families lived in this one little building! It makes for an interesting comparison to today's Americans who desire humongous houses














Several streets in the historic district still have brick pavement. I rode in a charter bus as we went from the hotel to the convention center, and I became much more grateful for even roughly paved asphalt roads!















This is probably my favorite shot from the weekend. I tried to get a daytime picture of this, Independence Hall, but I was too close. But on Saturday night, as I was walking back to my hotel, was a block away from it, and got a perfect shot!








If you look closely, the name of the building on the awning reads "Mr. Bar Stool"! Yes, there is such a place!











They are only open on Sundays? Man! I was hoping to bring home a few!

No comments: