Saturday, November 21, 2009

Saturday Night Reflections on NCTE

So for me the conference is effectively over; tomorrow at 6:30 AM I begin my sojourn back to Schererville. I'm always a bit sentimental at this point in time because these three days have really helped reinforce for me why I do what I do. Not only do I get to attend some great workshops and see some big names, but I also get to reconnect with people that I see only at this conference.

But so as not to get too teary-eyed on my reader (notice the singular form!), I'll just re-cap this weekend with some key things I've learned:

1. I'll be sure to keep finding hotels with free breakfasts. I saved good money each day!
2. Wireless connections in hotels are not always as good as what I have back home. Case in point: it took me about an hour to upload pics yesterday!
3. The 10%/30-second rule for copyrighted material is not actually law, and we all have more rights than we thought when it comes to using it in the classroom. Don't believe me; let me know and I'll tell you.
4. Barry Lane is much shorter than I thought. I had heard he was short, but he's short. That doesn't take away from his awesomeness though!
5. I need to buy a better camera. I tried taking some pictures from 100 feet away from the subject, and I ended up with horrible pictures!

Luckily I did get a lot of great pictures, and next weekend I'll put together a pictorial of my adventures here. But to Carrie, Carla, Nancy, and Art, thanks for a great little reunion at the Robinson Dinner. It truly is a highlight of the weekend.

Orlando, you may think because you have Disney World that you can handle large crowds, but just wait till NCTE/NWP descends in fewer than 365 days!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I, for one, would love to hear more about the rules for using copyrighted material in the classroom.

Sarah V said...

Helen's request makes me at least reader number two.